July 8, 2012 by Heidi
Incapable. Awkward. Artless.
That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.
Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.
Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.
Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.
Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.
Yesterday I finished this book, and let me tell you friends it is wonderful. Was it another dystopia with a love triangle? Yeah, pretty much. Do I care? Not one bit, because even with a familiar plot line Crewel was incredibly fresh and original, with a strong female lead and pertinent themes of equality. I’ll save further blatherings for my full review to come closer to the release date, but suffice it to say–you want this one on your radar.
Since I enjoyed Crewel so much, I want to spread the love by sharing my extra ARC copy with one of you!
- Must be 13 years or older.
- US only (sorry I can’t afford international shipping at this time).
- You have 48 hours to respond to my e-mail, or another winner will be chosen.
- Advanced Readers Copies are provided to reviewers and industry professionals. Please do not enter this contest unless you intend to publish an honest review of this book publicly. You do not have to be a book blogger to enter, but you do need to post reviews on a public site such as Goodreads, Amazon, or Library Thing.
- Winner will be chosen Sunday, July 22nd.
Entries for this giveaway are closed. The winner is Cassie Frye! Congratulations.